digging into the life right at my feet.



I finally find myself back in front of the screen.
The rest of the family, as well as a couple of taggers-on (is that even a word :), have just leapt into the car heading to the wharf 5 minutes down the road, boogie boards in the back.  
I have missed writing here but truly life has been just been full with Summertime goodness this last 6 weeks.



Summer has turned out to be just the good medicine that we were all seeking.
After the desolation of my mother's death, then the flurry that is December with gift-making and Christmas with my step-father, we pushed against our habit of seeking new lands and instead wanted to sink into our own backyard and the beaches just beyond. I wanted to dig in to my own life, wake up to the wonder of each day and experience what "the lazy days of Summer" might feel like if I could just let each day unfold in front of me. 
Waking up to my own life is what I am on about this Summer and for inspiration listen to this podcast with Jon Kabat-Zinn. This is a radio show that I regularly tune in to, often while cooking; it stretches my thinking in new ways and inspires insight. Thanks Renee at FIMBY where I originally found the link.




And so for six weeks now, we have stayed put and have welcomed a steady stream of friends and family into our home.  With such superb weather and mostly outside living, our little bach has managed to hold all this fullness with grace. Tenting on the lawn, swingball down the driveway, grooming and exercising the horses, carving in the carport, trapezing and trampolining and a whole lot of fellowship.
Fellowship (an old word that I am newly playing with) is something I seek where ever I go. It's fundamental to how we want to live as a family and how we want to grow our children;  to grow in community, rich in loving friendship and possibility.
And here it was, right at our doorstep, all Summer long.
The cornerstone of each day though has been our trips to the water; mostly to the wharf, sometimes to a  beach. Sometimes a 5 minute dip and other times most of the day, with rock pools, kayaking, high jumping and general sand and water fun.
These daily swims is what I think I will remember most about this Summer.



So here I am back on the blog, somewhere that I do want to be, encouraging families to design the life they dream of living and figuring out how to do it, supporting them to slow down and honor their time with their children and shining some light on growing self-directed learners so that others may grow in confident and claim learning back into the heart of their family and our communities.
This is my passion and the work I attempt to live and I do love to share it, in fellowship.

-------------------------------

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. hello there, nice to see that little square in the comment box. hope you are having a good Summer

      Delete
  2. Finally u r back. Your garden looks great and the water so cool and refreshing. Here we come next summer to enjoy it with you all. Love to you all and miss you every day:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like a lazy summer and we are certainly getting a proper summer this year.

    BTW I have just fallen in love with your "because of this, we don't bother with school" comment. Priceless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks multi-tasking mama. The "not bothering with school" comment is true...often the girls and I just shake our heads and wonder just how people manage to fit that school=thing in.

      Delete